Tuesday, November 2, 2010

"How To" Visual



In creating this "how to" visual I was trying to effectively communicate a process to someone without the use of words.  The goal was to clearly describe how to make a spaghetti dinner. I began with using common symbols for the materials and ingredients needed. For the spaghetti I used a common colored blue box with a window. Instead of trying to come up with a common label for the sauce I used an icon of a tomato and red jar. Pots and pans can look very similar so I used different shapes and handles to make it easier for the audience to distinguish between them. I used a stove to how to cook the pasta. I thought this would also help if the background, the stove, remained the same because it would be easier to follow the changes. To show the order of events I used green arrows. For the time involved in waiting for the pasta to cook I drew the symbol of a stop sign along with change in time on clocks. It was difficult to show order when thinking about how differently cultures are use to reading. While making the diagram I had my “AHA” moment when I found myself constantly trying to use words. I didn’t realized how heavily I relied on written instructions when following a process to do something. At the same time I rely on images to clarify things for me. The combination of words and images makes things much more clear rather than using one or the other. “How to make a spaghetti dinner” seems like a simple thing to describe, but when using a visual without words I realized how many little steps there are that can be difficult to show through words. Visuals have to be very carefully created to reach audiences in an effective manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment